Friday, September 15, 2017

Foodie Fridays: Toasted Open-Faced Caprese Sandwiches


I have been so busy lately that I do not have much time to cook, but I have been enjoying Toasted Open-Faced Caprese Sandwiches almost every day because they are quick, simple, and delicious.  I love a good Caprese salad, but now that the weather is slightly cooler a toasted sandwich version seems more appropriate.  Luckily we did not lose power when the effects of a considerably weakened Hurricane Irma arrived here, so my little toaster oven is getting quite the workout toasting up these sandwiches for me when I finally quit yard cleanup for the day!

Toasted Open-Faced Caprese Sandwiches

2 slices Italian bread (I like mine sliced as thinly as possible)
1-2 T. prepared pesto sauce
2 small tomatoes, sliced
2-4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese

Spread the bread slices generously with pesto sauce and place on a small foil-lined baking tray.  Top with enough tomato slices to fit on top of the bread (I use three tomato slices on each piece of bread).  Top the tomato with enough mozzarella slices to cover completely.  Toast the sandwiches in a regular or toaster oven until the cheese melts but before the bread burns (this will not take long so keep an eye on them!).  Allow to cool slightly before devouring.  Serves 1.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment