Woolrich Men's Made in America Buffalo Wool Shirt
The only plaid pattern I genuinely like is buffalo check plaid. This plaid is generally associated with the American West, and one legend has it that this connection came about because of a Scotsman named Jock McCluskey. McCluskey allegedly began trading blankets in his clan's colors of red and black checks for buffalo pelts from Native Americans, who were fascinated by the brilliant red hue on the blankets. Another legend credits the Woolrich Woolen Mills company with introducing this pattern to American-made textiles. The company has been making its iconic buffalo check shirt (above) since the 1850s, and the pattern supposedly got its name from the herd of buffalo owned by the pattern designer.
Whatever its origin, I am obsessed with buffalo check apparel in the classic red and black, especially for the winter wardrobe. I love the idea of outerwear sporting this pattern, as well as cozy bedtime apparel. Here are some of my favorites for both day and night:
1) Bob Timberlake Wool Peacoat for Ladies ($130) - I love the classic look of this rhubarb buffalo plaid coat from Bass Pro Shops
2) Women's Mudd Buffalo Check Pom-Pom Hat (on sale for $11.99) and Mittens (on sale for $9.99) - warm and fuzzy hat and mittens from Kohl's
3) Women's Sorel for J. Crew Tivoli Boots in Buffalo Check ($130) - sturdy Sorel boots will keep your toes toasty in the most frigid weather
4) Buffalo Check Flannel Pajama Set (on sale for $77) - soft and comfortable flannel women's pajamas from Pottery Barn
5) Buffalo Check Flannel Robe (on sale for $71) - a matching robe for the Pottery Barn flannel pajamas
6) Xhilaration Women's Buffalo Plaid Scuff Slippers (on sale for $6.49) - these fleecy slippers from Target will protect your feet from the cold at night
Stay warm in buffalo check apparel this winter, while enjoying the great outdoors during the day and when snuggling into a warm bed at night!