April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Thursday, December 29, 2016

This 'n That Thursdays: Design Trends That I Hope Will Go Away in 2017

From McMansion Hell

I have recently started reading the hilarious McMansion Hell website, which describes itself thusly:

"If you love to hate the ugly houses that became ubiquitous before (and after) the bubble burst you've come to the right place... "

recent post is a retrospective of the most boring interior design trends of 2016.  I have to say that I found myself agreeing with a lot of them!  So much so, in fact, that I decided to put together my own list of design trends that have become so ubiquitous I am tired of seeing them.  Here is my own personal list of five design trends that I hope will go away in 2017:

Brrrrr!!! (from Elle Decor)

1) White Kitchens - I accidentally almost typed this out in all capital letters, and I am thinking it was actually a Freudian slip that I should have left in.  I have to say it - I despise white kitchens!  Remember the dark cherry cabinets/black granite countertops kitchen trend from about two decades ago?  I was not a fan, but I almost wish that trend had stayed and the almost universal current whiteness of kitchens had never happened.  I cringe whenever someone tells me that they have painted high-quality wood cabinets white.  This was suggested to us when we put our Serenbe house on the market, and I absolutely refused.  The cabinets are less than five years old and are solid oak, which is a wood that we love.  I would rather not sell the house than paint those cabinets white!

Seriously, if it weren't for the green Christmas tree and the fire
in the fireplace, you would think this room had been photo-
graphed in black and white! (from One Kindesign)

2) Grey Rooms - grey has replaced white and beige as the favorite neutral color for quite a while now.  I have never liked grey.  I think it is a depressing color, and I would like to see it go away, perhaps replaced with a very pale yellow as the new neutral?  I just prefer warm colors to cool ones, and even white is a more cheerful option than any shade of grey, in my opinion.

All white and all subway tiles - enough already! (from Houzz)

3) Subway Tiles - subway tiles look cheap, especially the white ones.  That is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.  There is a reason they are called subway tiles.  They belong in subways, and nowhere else.  Given the wide range of tile choices out there, I find it quite dumbfounding that so many decide to cover their walls with these mind-numbingly boring tiles.  Express your individuality, people, and choose something else!

Vast expanses of grey and white - at least the floor is different, but don't
get me started on my opinion of wood floors in the kitchen!
(from Concrete FX Epoxy Flooring)

4) Concrete Countertops - this is just a personal dislike because I do not care for high maintenance countertops (I don't want to have to seal and wax my countertops once a month!).  I feel the same way about marble and granite.  My preference is for quartz countertops because they are so durable and relatively low maintenance.  However, for those who like to spend time babying their countertops, I really do think concrete (and marble and granite) can be very attractive.

I think I'm starting to miss Marsala, the 2015 Pantone Color of the Year -
okay, not really! (from Pantone)

5) Pantone's Color of the Year - it has been a long time since I have liked a Pantone Color of the Year choice.  This year's selection is no exception as it is, like subway tiles, a personal dislike.  I just cannot abide yellow-green!  The sooner this pick bites the dust the better, as far as I am concerned.  There are so many lovely shades of green that I would rather see than Greenery!

🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃🍃

I feel so much better now that I have confessed to my top interior design grievances!  Sorry if I bad-mouthed one or more of your favorites, but I say to each his/her own.  Feel free to admit to your own least (and most) favorites, and design your spaces accordingly!

A living room in grey and Greenery - my worst nightmare!
(from Decor Pad)

No comments:

Post a Comment