April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Friday, April 29, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Lemon Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake


I love citrus flavors, and lemon desserts are my favorite sweets.  Since my obsession with bundt cakes continues, I have been looking for a good lemon bundt cake recipe, and finally found one in the May issue of Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  Of course I am never content to leave well enough alone, and just had to add some chocolate chips to the batter.  I also eliminated the glaze, since I don't care for icings.  Finally, I replaced some of the milk in the original recipe with lemon juice to increase the lemon flavor.  This moist, tangy cake is just what I was looking for in a lemon bundt cake, and I will be making this again, although the weather around here is starting to get a little too warm for baking!

Lemon Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake

3 eggs
1 C. milk
1/2 C. vegetable oil
1/2 C. butter, melted and cooled
1 T. lemon extract or oil
3 lemons, zested and juiced
3 C. flour
2 C. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C. chocolate chips

In a very large bowl, whisk together the first five ingredients plus the lemon zest and juice (if the juice from the lemons is less than 1/2 cup, make up the difference with more milk).  Combine the next four ingredients in another large bowl.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture in two additions, beating until smooth after each addition.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  Pour into a greased, floured bundt pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for about one hour.  Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the center.  Continue baking for up to 15 more minutes if needed.  Remove from the oven when the inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.  Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely.  Serves 16.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment