April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

This 'n That Thursdays: Thrills and Chills for Halloween

From xDesktopWallpapers

I am one of those people who loves a good supernatural scare -- as long as I am safely ensconced in my exceedingly non-supernatural home!  There is nothing more satisfying to me than a good spooky story (or two, or ten) on Halloween night, and I have recently discovered a number of excellent new sources for these tales.  Check them out:


Haunted Island by Holly Mascott Nadler

My recent interest in all things Martha's Vineyard, thanks to the location of HGTV's Dream Home 2015, led to the discovery of this book by the Vineyard's very own supernatural authority, "ghost lady" Holly Mascott Nadler.  New England has a reputation for haunted history, and apparently Martha's Vineyard is no exception.


Vineyard Supernatural: True Ghost Stories from America's Most Haunted Island by Holly Mascott Nadler

A second collection of supernatural stories compiled by the aforementioned author continues the recounting of the many otherworldly encounters on the island of Martha's Vineyard.


Great Radio Horror from Radio Spirits

This CD collection includes 21 eerie recordings from a variety of old-time radio shows with a supernatural theme.  I have just ordered this one and it should arrive in plenty of time for Halloween listening.


Dark Fantasy: Adventures in the Supernatural from Radio Spirits

I have owned this CD collection for a while now, but I never get tired of listening to the 20 frightening tales from the classic 1940s radio show "Dark Fantasy".  I keep hoping they will release a second collection with the remaining 11 episodes from this short-run series.


Crimes by Moonlight from Daedalus Books

This book contains a collection of nighttime crime stories with a supernatural twist, and would be a fantastic read for a haunting Halloween evening.


Haunted Hotels: Eerie Inns, Ghoulish Guests, and Creepy Caretakers from Daedalus Books

I have always wondered what it would be like to stay in a haunted dwelling (not that I have any interest in doing so, mind you!).  This book allows me to find out vicariously through the experiences of others, which is as close as I'd like to come.

If you too enjoy a frisson of fear on Halloween night, you may just want to get your hands on one or more of these collections of terrifying tales, just as I have!

             

No comments:

Post a Comment