March 29th is World Marbles Day!

Friday, July 5, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Macaroni Slaw

From Taste of Home

I love to collect regional cookbooks from any little town I happen to pass through.  You know the type of book -- spiral-bound and usually paperback, often put together by the local Junior League or a church as a fundraiser for a good cause.  Recently I took a look at one I had picked up in tiny Gerlach, Nevada, back in the '70s, when I was working as a field research assistant in the nearby Granite Range.  One recipe in particular caught my eye, as it seemed especially appropriate for summer.  The recipe was  Macaroni Slaw, which is basically just a combination of coleslaw and macaroni salad -- genius!  Coincidentally, we had just eaten both on Memorial Day, and I remember thinking at the time that they were so good together, but it never even occurred to me to combine them.  The salads came from the supermarket deli, but homemade is infinitely preferable in my opinion, because you can control the type, amount, and quality of ingredients (the store-bought versions had far too much mayonnaise dressing, sugar, and salt for our tastes).  I modified the original cookbook recipe only slightly, and it was a big hit with both my husband and myself.  Macaroni Slaw makes a hearty side dish, but could also be served as a light lunch.  I am sure I will be making this often over the summer!

Macaroni Slaw

1 C. mayonnaise (I actually used half mayo and half coleslaw dressing)
3 T. lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. salt
dash of garlic powder
4 C. cooked and cooled macaroni
8 oz. (1/2 bag) shredded coleslaw mix
1/2 C. diced bell pepper (any color)
1/2 C. sliced scallions or diced onion
1/4 C. minced parsley (optional)
1 C. diced ham

Toss all of the ingredients together (add more mayonnaise/coleslaw dressing if needed, but be careful not to overdo it). Cover and chill several hours before serving.  Makes about 7 cups.

Note: If you have leftover prepared coleslaw (at least 2 C.), use that instead of the bagged coleslaw mix, and reduce the mayonnaise and/or coleslaw dressing amount accordingly.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment