March 27th is Manatee Appreciation Day!

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Slow Cooker Harvest Chicken


Now that cold winter weather has arrived, I feel the need to make more slow cooker meals.  Today's recipe is a variation on one for Harvest Time Chicken with Couscous from Taste of Home.  I did not have mango salsa, but I did have some mango chutney, so I used that instead.  I used more bell pepper and chicken than called for in the original recipe, and added some heavy cream at the end to create a smoother and more mellow flavor.  I served my version over red quinoa just because I happened to have it, but couscous, rice, or even orzo would work as well.

This is not your typical chicken dish, and to me it is almost Moroccan in flavor, similar to a tagine. Best of all, this is one of those recipes that tastes even better the next day, after the flavors have a chance to meld.  I really enjoyed it, and will certainly be making it again!

Slow Cooker Harvest Chicken

2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 red bell peppers, cut into large dice
1 small red onion, cut into large dice
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 3)
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used unsalted)
1/2 C. mango or peach chutney
1/4 C. golden raisins
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 C. heavy cream

In a 4-quart slow cooker, layer the potatoes, peppers, onion, and chicken breasts.  In a medium-sized bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the cream and pour over the chicken.  Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours, or until the potatoes and chicken are tender.

Coarsely shred the chicken with two forks (you can remove them from the pot first, but I just did this in the pot).  Stir the shredded chicken into the vegetables.  Add the cream and stir until well combined.  Serve over couscous or quinoa.  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment