April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, July 19, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Fresh Blueberry Cobbler

Photo by NoraMarie on Food.com

Blueberry season is here!  While I am not much of a fresh blueberry fan, I do enjoy them cooked into luscious desserts, especially ones as simple and tasty as Fresh Blueberry Cobbler.  I have only changed this easy recipe slightly.  I stirred half of the blueberries into the batter instead of spreading them all over the top (I got this idea here).  Also, instead sprinkling vanilla extract over the top, I added it to the batter with the wet ingredients (lemon juice and/or zest would also be good).  I put cinnamon in the sugar topping, and since I really like cinnamon I added an entire teaspoonful, but if you are not such a fan use less, or omit it altogether.  This is a dessert that just screams summer -- scream a little more for a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the top if you like!

Fresh Blueberry Cobbler

1 1/4 C. flour
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 C. milk
1/3 C. butter, melted
2 C. fresh blueberries
1 T. flour
1/3 C. sugar
1/2-1 tsp. cinnamon (optional)

Combine the first four (dry) ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir in the next three (wet) ingredients thoroughly.  Toss 1 C. of the blueberries with the 1 T. flour and fold gently into the batter.  Spread the batter into a greased 8- or 9-inch square pan.  Sprinkle the remaining blueberries over the batter.  If using the cinnamon, stir it into the sugar.  Sprinkle the sugar or sugar/cinnamon mixture over the berries.  Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool in the pan on a wire rack, then cut and serve.  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment