May 4th is National Herb Day!

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Weekend Wardrobe: 2020 Outfit of the Week #7


For this week's outfit, I chose the clothes I wore to yet another talk (featuring a new sweater shown above and described here), this time presenting the timeline of women's suffrage in New Mexico, which is being highlighted this year because 2020 is the centennial of women getting the right to vote in the state.  The two talks I have attended so far have really ignited my interest in New Mexico history, and I hope to attend more in the future.

Clockwise from top left: ModCloth Cozy for You Embroidered Sweater in Cream Hearts; BFC 22k Gold Plated Copper Chain for Men and Women (similar to mine); Great American Leatherworks Leather East/West Crossbody Bag in Dark Tan (no longer available); Craghoppers Women's Venta Lite Hooded Jacket in Warm Ginger (color out of stock - similar to my much less expensive version); Target Women's A New Day Crew Socks in Cream; Dockers Vargas Boat Shoes in Rust (similar to mine); Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda Stretch-Fit Jeans in Roasted Chestnut (no longer available); Pendleton Women's Long-Sleeve Cotton Ribbed Tee in Antique White (similar to mine).

When attending these talks, I get the chance to meet many Santa Fe women who take on active roles in promoting various topics of particular interest to women.  One of the women I met is a member of the Santa Fe National Organization for Women, and is involved in organizing a film series and panel discussion of films by, for, and about women.  The next one that is upcoming in this series will be the movie "Julie & Julia" (2009), one of my favorite movies, which will include a panel discussion with local female chefs - I will most certainly be attending this showing!

In April there will be a showing of a movie that I have never seen, but most definitely should, called "The Woman Who Loves Giraffes" (2018).  In this film, Dr. Anne Innis Dagg describes her study of wild giraffes in South Africa, conducted years before more famous female biologists such as Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey began their field work.  I was unfamiliar with Dr. Dagg and her work, but when I looked up more information about her I was astonished to learn that she was one of the first female field biologists as well as an early feminist pushing for women's rights to university tenure and recognition for their contributions to science.  Since I did my doctoral work studying the behavior and ecology of feral donkeys (inspired by pioneering female scientists such as Goodall, Fossey, and Birute Galdikas), this film and the subsequent panel discussion are of particular interest to me, and I look forward to attending this event.

Plaza Cafe Southside (from OpenTable)

I can't end this post without mentioning yet another eating establishment that my neighbor and I visited for lunch after the talk.  The Plaza Cafe Southside can be a bit difficult to find if you are not familiar with Santa Fe as you must drive through the Lowe's parking lot to get to the shopping area where this diner-style restaurant is located, but the little bit of extra effort required to find it is worthwhile.  My friend and I both got menu specials - she had the posole and I had the tuna melt - and both were excellent.  One of these days I will remember to take photographs of my meals to post, but I do not have an image of my sandwich and could not find one online.  This is a shame because the sandwich was as attractive as it was tasty, served on slices of a lovely green chile cheese bread with a side of red cabbage coleslaw.  I did find a picture of the posole my friend ordered, so here it is:

From Yelp

Should you ever find yourself in Santa Fe, the Plaza Cafe Southside (or the original Plaza Cafe) would be a great place to have a delicious meal in a casual atmosphere.

I don't have any especially interesting plans for this week (except for another visit to the vet to get Madison's wound staple removed) but I will have another outfit of the week to post even if it is just the apparel I wear to run my usual errands.  I have to say I am getting tired of dressing for winter (and you are probably getting tired of seeing my favorite winter coat!) so I am really looking forward to warmer weather and fewer layers!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment