Friday, June 7, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Caprese Niçoise Salad


In my quest for more easy summer salads that can be served as a main dish, I came across a recipe for Walnut Pesto Potato Salad.  Rather than make my own pesto (which I am too lazy to do when it is so readily available at the supermarket!), I came up with my own simpler version which does not have any walnuts, so of course I had to rename it!  Since the recipe combines ingredients used in a caprese salad as well as those found in a niçoise salad, I think my new moniker for this recipe is the obvious choice!  Whatever you want to call it, this salad is exactly the sort of meal I like to consume during hot weather - easy to make early in the day, very little cooking required, and ready to eat at room temperature when you are feeling the need for food without expending too much effort.  Recipes like this one really do make life so much easier when the weather is summertime hot!

Caprese Niçoise Salad

1 1/2 lbs. small yellow potatoes
2-3 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 bag (8 oz.) microwaveable slender green beans (haricots verts), cooked, cooled, and cut into thirds
1 pt. (2 C.) grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 carton (7 oz.) refrigerated pesto
8 oz. mozzarella pearls

Wash the potatoes and cut into bite-size pieces.  Combine the potatoes, olive oil, and salt in a roasting pan and toss to coat the potatoes well.  Roast at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through and the skins are slightly crispy.  Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Combine the potatoes, haricots verts, tomato halves, and pesto in a large bowl.  Toss to coat the vegetables well with the pesto.  Gently stir in the mozzarella pearls.  Allow to sit at room temperature for about 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld, or refrigerate for several hours to serve later.  Serves 4 as a main dish, or 6-8 as a side dish.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment