May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, May 3, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich


I happen to love egg salad, and I adore guacamole, so it simply made sense to combine the two flavors into one easy and delicious sandwich filling.  Below is my version of a recipe for Creamy Avocado Egg Salad from the Gimme Delicious website.  I added chives as the herb because they are growing (and flowering) profusely in my garden right now, but feel free to add any favorite fresh or dried herbs or seasonings to this basic mixture.  I might include my favorite smoked paprika next time, and/or my other favorite, everything bagel seasoning.  A bit of dry ranch dressing mix might also be tasty.  Use your imagination to create your own filling flavor preference!

Creamy Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich

4 hard-boiled eggs, diced
2 small avocados, halved, pitted, and flesh scooped out
2 T. mayonnaise (plus more for spreading on bread if desired)
juice of one small Meyer lemon (about 1 T.)
1/4 tsp. salt (or to taste)
2 T. minced herbs (I used chives)
8 bread slices
salad greens

Combine the eggs, avocados, 2 T. mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and minced herbs in a medium-sized bowl and stir gently until well blended.  Spread each bread slice lightly with mayonnaise, if desired.  Place some salad greens atop four of the bread slices.  Divide the egg salad mixture evenly among the four prepared bread slices.  Top each sandwich with the remaining bread slices and serve.  Serves 4.

Notes: Once again I used my favorite Arnold's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins, but use any bread you like.  Lime juice can be substituted for the lemon juice.  Fresh herbs such as cilantro, parsley, dill, or basil can be used instead of or in addition to the chives.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment