April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Friday, May 25, 2018

Foodie Fridays: 3-Ingredient Chocolate Banana Coconut Macaroons


I was looking for a recipe for a relatively healthy quick treat, and found the perfect one on the Nest and Glow website called 3-Ingredient Chocolate Banana Coconut Macaroons.  My version came out with much more banana flavor than I expect from a macaroon, but I still loved the taste.  The image for the original recipe does not show as much coconut texture as mine have, probably because the coconut I used was not as finely shredded.  I whirled my coconut in a food processor before using to give it a slightly finer texture so that they would hold together better, but I actually prefer macaroons with more texture so I was happy with the end result.  I happened to have some dipping chocolate in my pantry so I used it here, but you could make a more low-carb version of the chocolate dipping sauce if you follow the directions in the original recipe.

If you are really paying attention you will notice that my recipe also has more than three ingredients!  The bananas I used were very large so my batter was a little too wet to form into balls.  Coconut flour has amazing absorptive powers so I added a spoonful, resulting in a much more moldable batter.  Add coconut flour if you need a thickener, or a little water if your batter is too dry (if your batter is too dry the macaroons will be crumbly after baking, so do not thicken it too much).  These little treats are so easy to make and quite satisfying as a quick snack any time of day!

3-Ingredient Chocolate Banana Coconut Macaroons

2 medium-sized ripe bananas
1 1/4 C. finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1 T. coconut flour, if needed
1 C. chocolate chips*

Mash the bananas thoroughly with a fork in a large bowl.  Stir in the coconut (use your hand if you like, but I used my fork).  Roll the batter into one-inch balls.  Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and flatten slightly if needed (mine needed very little flattening).  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool.  Remove to a plate and line the cookie sheet with a new piece of parchment or waxed paper.

When the macaroons are cool, place the chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds.  Remove from the microwave and stir.  Microwave again for 30 seconds and stir.  Continue this process if necessary until most of the chocolate chips are melted (mine needed an additional 15 seconds after the two 30-second bouts).  Do not allow the chocolate to burn!  Stir vigorously to melt the rest of the chocolate.  Dip each macaroon sideways into the melted chocolate and place on the prepared cookie sheet.  Refrigerate until the chocolate hardens.  Remove from the cookie sheet and store in a covered container in the fridge for up to three days.  These macaroons can also be frozen for up to three months and thawed at room temperature before serving.  Makes 12-16 macaroons.

*I used a product called Baker's Real Milk Chocolate Dipping Chocolate because I happened to have it in my pantry and it was convenient.  You will probably have leftover chocolate, which can be refrigerated and reheated later for dipping any other treat your heart desires (like strawberries!).
               

No comments:

Post a Comment