April 29th is International Dance Day!

Thursday, April 19, 2018

This 'n That Thursdays: 2018 Picks of the Year

From Bridestory Business Blog

It's time to review all of the 2018 picks of the year that I can find, and as I usually do I am beginning with the non-gardening choices.  I mentioned briefly in an earlier post that the Pantone 2018 Color of the Year is a deep blue-based purple called Ultra Violet (yes, it is two words).  While this shade is not a personal favorite, for me it is slightly better than the picks from the last three years.  Who can forget the muddy purplish-red from 2015, or the pallid pink/bland blue duo of 2016, and then the acidulous yellow-green in 2017?  Okay, I admit I am rather opinionated when it comes to colors, but I have not truly enjoyed a Pantone Color of the Year since 2012's Tangerine Tango, so I am hoping that the selection for 2019 will really impress me.

From Firmenich

Interestingly, the Firmenich 2018 Flavor of the Year is Fig, a deep purple fruit, which makes me wonder if there is some sort of collusion between Pantone and Firmenich when selecting their annual winners!  Last year Firmenich opted for the unfortunate flavor of Cucumber, which could be considered similar in color to Pantone's 2017 choice of Greenery.  Coincidence?  Like I said, you have to wonder.  However, I happen to love figs, so I am quite happy with this year's pick.  My husband despises figs (mostly because of the seeds) and I know that he is not alone in his aversion, so this flavor may be a love it or hate it sort of choice for 2018.

From Big Island Now

Color also comes to mind with the selection by the American Bird Association of the rather spectacularly hued Iiwi (Drepanis coccinea), or Scarlet Honeycreeper, as the 2018 Bird of the Year.  Although this endemic Hawaiian species is still common on the islands, their population is in decline due to a combination of habitat loss and introduced diseases.  Adults of both sexes are a stunning vermilion red with black wings and tails.  They have long, decurved, salmon-pink bills used primarily for drinking nectar.  This gorgeous little bird is currently listed as threatened, and hopefully efforts to protect the species will be successful.

Atlantic Puffins (Fratercula arctica) in Maine -
puffins are my favorite birds!
(from New Hampshire Public Radio)

Speaking of birds, in honor of the centennial of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, 2018 has been declared the Year of the Bird.  The National Audubon Society, National Geographic Society, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, and BirdLife International along with more than 100 other organizations around the world are participating in this campaign to raise awareness of the importance of taking action, no matter how small, to help protect migratory birds from adverse effects of environmental changes.  A few tips that anyone could implement can be found here.



In the coming weeks I will cover all of the gardening 2018 picks of the year I have found.  As always, there are a number of these selections by various organizations, so I will have to describe them in a series of posts.  Fortunately, I think the weather in my neck of the woods has finally decided to leave winter behind, so I can now start to think about actually doing some planting!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment