April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, March 9, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Pesto Arugula Egg Breakfast Sandwich


Recently I discovered a food blog called A Couple Cooks, and I have to say I am delighted with their simple, healthy, and mostly vegetarian recipes.  I just had to try their 5-Minute Pesto Arugula Breakfast Sandwich, because much as I like my usual bread and cheese breakfasts, every so often I need to break out of my rut and have something different.  As usual I made a few minor changes to the original recipe, and I really enjoyed my flavorful breakfast sandwich!

I love cheese, so I added some shredded cheddar to my version of the sandwich.  I also did not cook the arugula, because I used a different preparation method for my egg and did not want to pull out a pan just to wilt some greens.  I cooked my egg in the microwave using a device similar to the one sold here.  It effortlessly creates a cooked egg perfectly sized to fit in an English muffin.  Since I wanted to be able to pick up my sandwich without having runny yolk spill all over the place, I broke the egg yolk before microwaving.  I also used a bit less pesto than called for in the original recipe.  I loved this sandwich so much I will be having it again tomorrow - luckily our hen Dixie is laying eggs again so I have a good supply!

Pesto Arugula Egg Breakfast Sandwich

1 egg
1 whole wheat English muffin
1 T. basil pesto (store-bought is fine)
handful of fresh arugula leaves
2-3 T. shredded cheddar (or any favorite cheese)

Spray a microwave egg cooker with cooking spray and add the egg, whisking lightly with a knife or fork to break the yolk.  Toast the English muffin.  While the muffin is toasting, cook the egg in the microwave until firm (45 seconds in our microwave).

Spread both halves of the toasted English muffin with a generous amount of pesto.  Top the bottom half with the arugula, then the still-warm egg, and finally the shredded cheese.  Cover with the top half of the muffin, pick up, take a bite, and enjoy your breakfast!  Serves 1.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment