April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Extra Smoky Macaroni and Cheese


Our local Publix has started offering a smoked gouda macaroni and cheese in their deli department.  I decided to give it a try, and it is delicious!  I was determined to make my own version, so I searched the internet for a recipe I could use as a starting point.  I found one for Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese at Epicurious that sounded like a good candidate.

The recipe recommended using a mix of smoked gouda and cheddar for better flavor.  When I went to pick up the smoked gouda, I also found a smoked cheddar, and decided to use both for my version.  The original recipe also calls for paprika, but I thought that smoked paprika would be even better (I am obsessed with smoked paprika, so there is that).

The end result is excellent, rich and creamy with a smoky flavor reminiscent of bacon.  In fact, bacon would also be a great addition if you do not have a red meat allergy as I do.  I almost wish winter was not pretty much over where I live, because this dish is the perfect winter comfort food!

Extra Smoky Macaroni and Cheese

8 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
2 C. whole milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper (optional)
1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
1 C. (4 oz.) grated smoked gouda cheese (reserve 1/4 C.)
1 C. (4 oz.) grated smoked cheddar cheese (reserve 1/4 C.)
additional smoked paprika for topping

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.  Whisk in the flour until smooth and cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.  Gradually whisk in the milk.  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened.  Reduce the heat to low and stir in the salt, pepper if using, and all but the reserved cheese.

Pour the pasta into a lightly greased 7x11-inch baking dish.  Spoon the cheese sauce evenly over the pasta, stirring lightly to even out the sauce in the pan.  Top with the remaining cheese.  Sprinkle smoked paprika over the cheese (I love smoked paprika, so I probably used about 1/2 tsp.).  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, or until bubbly.  Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving.  Serves 6.

Notes: I had a cup of heavy cream to use up, so I used it plus one cup of skim milk instead of the whole milk.  I also used lentil instead of wheat elbow macaroni, but use whatever macaroni you prefer.
               

No comments:

Post a Comment