April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Friday, March 30, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Chipotle Shrimp and Veggies Soft Tacos


I have been craving a shrimp dish for some time, I had some vegetables in the fridge to use up, and I was in the mood for Mexican food, so I decided to make up a taco recipe with these ingredients.  For the right flavor, I bought a jar of my favorite salsa for cooking.  Sam's Choice Salsa Rojo Roasted Tomato & Chipotle is the salsa I use when I want to make a slow cooker Mexican-inspired shredded chicken*, so I knew it would be the right salsa to add to my taco filling.  (If you would rather use a different salsa, look for one that is thick and not too chunky, and add some canned chipotle in adobo sauce to taste.)

Make sure your veggies are bite-sized for ease of taco consumption!  Cut the bell pepper and onion into long thin slices and then cut these slices into thirds or quarters.  Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into rounds and then cut the rounds into thin slices.  I tend to undersalt my food, so if you prefer a saltier taste add as much as you like.  Use any additional toppings you enjoy (avocado would be tasty). Any corn tortilla will work, but my husband ordered some Masienda Bodega Blue Corn Tortillas online that are quite delicious, so I used them for my tacos (the color is also very pretty).  This recipe is quick and easy, and made a very satisfying lunch!

Chipotle Shrimp and Veggies Soft Tacos

2 T. olive oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into small slices
1 medium onion, cut into small slices
1 zucchini, cut into small slices
1 yellow squash, cut into small slices
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 C. frozen corn, thawed
2/3 C. Sam's Choice Salsa Rojo Roasted Tomato & Chipotle (plus more for serving)
1 lb. peeled and cooked extra large shrimp, tails removed
8 corn tortillas
1/2 C. shredded cheese (I used my favorite cheddar-mozzarella blend)
sour cream (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the bell pepper and sauté for about 4 minutes.  Add the onion and sauté for about 2 minutes.  Add the zucchini, yellow squash, and salt and sauté until all vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and cook one minute longer.  Reduce the heat to medium and add the corn.  Stir in the salsa and heat through.  Add the shrimp and heat through.

Warm the tortillas over a flame, or in the microwave covered with a damp paper towel (I do the latter).  Place about three of the shrimp and a spoonful of the veggies onto each tortilla.  Top with a spoonful of additional salsa.  Sprinkle each taco with 1 T. of the shredded cheese.  Microwave on HIGH for up to a minute to melt the cheese.  Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired and fold in half to serve.  Serves 4.

*For my version of Mexican shredded chicken, just place 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a lightly greased slow cooker, top with the entire contents of a jar of the chipotle salsa, and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours.  Shred the chicken with two forks in the pot, combining with the sauce, and serve any way you like.  My husband loves this shredded chicken!
               

No comments:

Post a Comment