March 27th is Manatee Appreciation Day!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Foodie Fridays: Kale and Farro Stew


I recently bought a bag of farro (a newly popular grain similar to barley that I had been seeing in recipes lately), but have not had a chance to try it until last week, when I made a Kale and Farro Stew from a recipe I found at our local Publix.  This vegetarian dish was tastier than I thought it would be, thanks largely to the lemon zest and juice, which brighten and heighten the flavors in the stew.  I thought it was delicious, but if you are not vegetarian, try adding some chicken, ham, or sausage to the pot for even more flavor.  I have more farro left, so I will be making this stew again!

Kale and Farro Stew

1 T. oil
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 C. vegetable broth (I used unsalted)
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used unsalted)
1 C. farro
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 bag (5 oz.) baby kale (about 4 C.)
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 C. minced fresh parsley
1/4 C. crumbled feta cheese

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium-high heat.  Add the carrots, onion, and celery and cook for five minutes.  Add the garlic and cook one minute longer.  Stir in the next five ingredients and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Stir in the kale and beans and simmer a few minutes longer until the kale is wilted.  Add the lemon zest and juice, salt, and parsley.  If you would like to thin the stew, add a little more broth (or water).  Ladle the stew into bowls and top each serving with about two tsp. of the crumbled feta cheese.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment