April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Friday, May 13, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Pizza Roll Bundt Cake


Two of my latest food fascinations have been bundt cakes and prepared food used in unusual ways (see here and here), so when I saw the recipe for a Pizza Roll Bundt Cake I just had to try it!  Pizza Rolls are one of those foods that I never eat (in fact, I don't think I've ever had them before!), but I was willing to give them a try in bundt cake form.  While I don't think I would want to serve this as a main dish on a regular basis, I do believe it would be a great party appetizer, either served in thin slices or pulled apart into individual rolls, like a pull-apart bread (as long as the cheese is still warm and soft enough to pull).  Why shouldn't we have fun with our food once in a while?

Pizza Roll Bundt Cake

2 bags 40-count (about 20 oz. each) Totino's Pizza Rolls, any flavor
4 C. shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C. pizza sauce (see Notes)
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
fresh basil, minced (optional)

Bake the pizza rolls at 425 degrees for about 14 minutes.  Set aside to cool slightly.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.  Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray.  Place 20 pizza rolls in the pan and sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella.  Repeat the layers three more times, ending with the last cup of mozzarella.  Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and just starting to brown around the edges.

Remove the bundt pan from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.  Use a spatula to loosen the edges, and then place a heatproof plate upside down on top of the pan.  Turn the pan and plate over, tap the bottom of the pan to release the contents, and remove the pan.

In a loosely covered microwaveable bowl, heat the pizza sauce on HIGH for 20-30 seconds until warm (I skipped this step as the room temperature sauce was equally pourable).  Spoon the sauce over the pizza roll bundt cake to resemble icing.  Sprinkle the top with the Parmesan cheese.  Sprinkle the basil over, if using.  Cut the cake with a serrated knife and serve warm.  Serves 16.

Notes: I used Prego Pizzeria Style Pizza Sauce.  Be sure to serve this dish with extra pizza sauce to spoon over the top, as I found the pizza rolls to be rather bland without the sauce.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment