April 29th is International Dance Day!

Thursday, September 17, 2015

This 'n That Thursdays: Sleek Contemporary Living Room

The inspiration piece
(from Lamps Plus)

I love living in the country.  I don't think I could ever be happy as a city dweller.  However, that does not mean that I prefer country décor.  I am not a fan of farmhouse sinks, scrubbed pine tables, and farm implements hanging on the walls.  My decorating style is what I like to call rustic contemporary, which means a preference for clean and simple lines, lots of natural wood (no painted pieces for me, thank you very much), and a color palette of rich, earthy hues.  I even like the look of sleek contemporary glass and metal, although I don't think I could live with such stark, sharp-edged furniture because of our rambunctious and sometimes downright clumsy dogs, who are always bumping into the furniture!  For me, that more industrial look needs lots of color to warm it up.  I happened to find an image of a contemporary sofa online that I really liked,  so I thought I would do a style board featuring a sleek style with bold and colorful accents.  Here is how I envision such a contemporary living room:

Clockwise from top left: Zuo Modern Singular Terracotta Leatherette Sofa from Lamps Plus; Abstract Art Throw Pillow Cover by Sharon Cummings on Etsy; George Kovacs Polished Chrome Arc Floor Lamp from Lamps Plus; Eurostyle Sandor End Table from Wayfair; Zuo Modern Singular Terracotta Armchair from Lamps Plus; Viendra la Fin du Jour Loft Art by Huguette Lagacé from Art.com; Gold Crystal Plate with Murrinas from MuranoNet; Eurostyle Sandor Coffee Table from Wayfair; Center background: Mohawk Tossed Floral Multi Area Rug from Target.

Should I ever find myself forced to live in the city, I think I could be happy in this colorful contemporary living room, as long as I could find a way to pad my dogs from any sharp edges!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment