April 24th is International Guide Dog Day!

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

This 'n That Thursdays: Small Plates I Am Currently Coveting

Too many dishes!
(from Kitchen Hunter)

Last year I became very interested in tablescaping blogs.  I have always loved setting a pretty table, but lately this love has become an obsession.  I now have way too much tableware!  I am trying very hard not to buy any more sets of dishes.  However, anyone who has seen my tablescape posts has probably noticed that I prefer to limit my settings to a two-layer stack of plates, a large dinner plate and a smaller salad or dessert plate.  I usually rely on the smaller plate to add some color and/or pattern to my table, and I often buy just small plates rather than an entire set of dishes.  Somehow in my mind this does not count as dish buying, so my good intentions to stop adding to my collection have been thwarted by this illogical rationalization.

Lately I have noticed some small plate designs available now which are just right for spring, and I have a feeling that I will succumb to one or more before long.  Below are just a few that I am coveting:




These watercolor creations by Oregon artist Dean Crouser on seven-inch square white stoneware come in four different designs (bluebird, cardinal, chickadee, and hummingbird) which are sold separately to mix and match as you choose.  One plate costs $15.95, but you can buy two or more for $14.35 each.


Lemon Salad Plate from Sur la Table

The Lemon Salad Plate is part of the Lemon Collection of dishware and accessories available from Sur la Table.  The 8.75-inch round earthenware salad plates can be purchased separately for $9.95 each, but it may be hard to resist purchasing the complementary dishes that make up this collection!


Little Bird Plate from Pier 1 Imports

Pier 1 has several sets of bird-themed dishware, including chickens, peacocks, and owls, but I find these colorful little birds irresistible.  The white, glazed porcelain 8.5-inch plates are made in Portugal, and are available for just $7.00.  The simple but colorful design makes these plates very versatile -- I have several sets of dinner plates that would combine well with these dishes.



Just in time for cherry blossom season in Washington, DC, these specially commissioned porcelain plates are perfect for spring!  They are sold as a boxed set of four for $35, and complementary mugs and a teapot are available as well.  These are the plates that I have a feeling I am going to end up purchasing, as I have nothing like them in my collection and I think they are absolutely beautiful!


Bunny Plate from Crate and Barrel

Easter is fast approaching, and Crate and Barrel offers these white Portuguese earthenware Bunny Plates embossed with a sweet bunny doodle by artist Elvis Swift as the ideal holiday dishware.  The 8.5-inch plates cost $7.95 each, and there is even a 20-inch coordinating Lamb Platter available for $29.95.

So many beautiful dishes, so little storage space!  I can feel my will power crumbling at this very moment.  I guess I am just going to have to come up with more creative storage solutions, as it does not look like I will be able to curb my penchant for plate purchasing any time soon.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment