April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, December 20, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Shrimp in Chipotle Cream Sauce

From Pati's Mexican Table

I've finally managed to use up my can of chipotles in adobo sauce which has been around for far too long!  Our favorite Mexican restaurant in nearby Athens, GA, is called Agua Linda.  My husband loves their Chicken in Mole Sauce, but for me nothing beats the Shrimp in Chipotle Cream Sauce (Camarones al Chipotle).  I had never heard of it before trying it at this restaurant, but now it is my standard order there.  I have been meaning to try to reproduce this recipe at home, and thanks to the canned chipotles I have been attempting to use up for weeks now, I actually found a recipe that is similar to the restaurant version.  I modified it just a little to make it even more like the Agua Linda dish.  This recipe is a keeper -- the next time I crave Mexican food and can't get to the restaurant, I now have an easy and delicious backup plan!

Shrimp in Chipotle Cream Sauce

1 lb. medium shrimp, shells and tails removed
2 T. olive oil

1 large clove garlic, minced

3 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
2 T. adobo sauce
¼ C. tomato or V-8 juice

1 C. heavy cream

¾ C. chicken stock
3 T. sour cream

Toss the shrimp with 1 T. olive oil in a rimmed baking sheet.  Roast at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes (do not overcook).  Remove from the oven and let cool.

Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet.  Add the garlic, chipotles, and adobo sauce and cook for five minutes.  Add the juice and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.  Slowly stir in the cream and stock and heat for another five minutes (do not boil).

Strain the sauce to remove the chipotle skin and seeds.  Return to the skillet and warm the sauce, then remove from the heat.  Add a small amount of the sauce to the sour cream, then stir the thinned sour cream into the rest of the sauce until smooth.  Add the cooked shrimp and allow to sit for about 10 minutes so that the flavors can meld.

Serve the shrimp and sauce in warmed corn tortillas with shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced avocado, or serve over rice.  Serves 6.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment