April 18th is International Jugglers Day!

Thursday, September 19, 2013

This 'n That Thursdays: Silly Songs of the '70s

From YouTube

Not long ago I read an article about the "Top 10 Most Annoying Songs of the 1970s".  I was a teenager/young adult during those years, and I remember most of these songs well.  While I agree with the writer's assessment that songs from the era tended to be sappy and overwrought, to me they were more silly than annoying, and actually rather amusing.  There are a few exceptions, of course.  "Having My Baby" (1974) epitomizes annoying, and "Run Joey Run" (1975) is so bad I had apparently blocked it out and didn't even remember this song until I listened to it again (don't worry, the links do not take you to the songs, just a description).  In my opinion, the most annoying song of the '70s is not even on this playlist.  Minnie Riperton's painful assault upon the eardrums called  "Lovin' You" (1975) was the song I disliked the most from that era.  This link does take you to the song, so listen to it at your peril (just because one can hit extremely high notes does not mean that one should, especially when they serve absolutely no purpose in the song!).

While a lot of songs from the 1970s were not great, so many of them were rather funny.  I think it may have been a reaction to '60s protest music (although the 1960s years had some pretty offbeat tunes of their own).  The silly '70s songs did serve a purpose, which was to bring a little laughter into people's lives.  I have compiled a list of some of the most ridiculous, and I hope they add some fun to your day!

1) "Gimme Dat Ding" (1970) by The Pipkins

2) "Lola" (1970) by The Kinks

3) "Chick-a-Boom" (1971) by Daddy Dewdrop

4) "Brand New Key" (1971) by Melanie

5) "Dead Skunk" (1972) by Loudon Wainright III

6) "Troglodyte" (1972) by Jimmy Castor Bunch

7) "Spiders and Snakes" (1974) by Jim Stafford

8) "The Streak" (1974) by Ray Stevens

9) "Junk Food Junkie" (1976) by Larry Groce

10) "Muskrat Love" (1976) by Captain & Tenille

Dancing muskrats and the Captain (From Funny or Die)
             

No comments:

Post a Comment