April 20th is Husband Appreciation Day!

Friday, August 30, 2013

Foodie Fridays: White Cornmeal Blue Cheese Muffins

From Yummly

Back when I set my blue and white fish-themed table, I tried to serve as many blue foods as possible on the menu.  One of the blue foods that did not make it on to the menu was blue cornmeal, since I was unable to find any locally.  I did try a muffin recipe using white cornmeal and blue cheese, however, since white cornmeal is widely available here in the South.  The basic recipe I chose came from the website Abby Dodge.  I liked it because the quantity of muffins made is only six (perfect for a household of two) and both a sweet and a savory option are given.  Since I have made sweet blue cornmeal blueberry muffins in the past, I decided to try the savory version, modifying the recipe only slightly to suit our tastes.  They turned out to be even more delicious than the sweet type, and would be great for breakfast, as an accompaniment to lunch or dinner, or just as a snack.  One of these days I may even get to try them with blue cornmeal!

White Cornmeal Blue Cheese Muffins

3/4 C. flour
1/3 C. white cornmeal
1 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried dill
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1/2 C. (about 2 oz.) crumbled blue cheese
1/2 C. buttermilk, at room temperature
1 large egg, at room temperature
3 T. oil (olive oil is good)

Combine the first five ingredients in a medium bowl.  Stir in the dill, nuts, and cheese.  Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a small bowl.  Pour over the dry ingredients and fold in just until moistened.  Spoon the batter evenly into paper or foil liners in a 6-cup muffin tin.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are pale golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool completely.  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment