Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wish List Wednesdays: "Rust Red Hills" by Georgia O'Keeffe

"Rust Red Hills" (1930) by Georgia O'Keeffe
(from VPR)

August is American Artist Appreciation Month, so what better time to mention my new favorite painting by one of my favorite American artists, Georgia O'Keeffe (1887-1986)?  Unfortunately, while most of the objects I describe here on my weekly wish list, while not always prudent, are at least attainable, the likelihood that I will ever own an original work by O'Keeffe is remote.  However, at least I can dream, and I dream of owning the painting shown above, called "Rust Red Hills".  Painted in 1930, soon after her first visit to New Mexico, it is a depiction of the hills near Abiquiu, where O'Keeffe began to spend her summers, eventually becoming a full time resident.  The hills are rendered realistically, but reduced to their essence in O'Keeffe's signature style, and painted in rich autumnal hues.  Now owned by the Brauer Museum of Art, "Rust Red Hills" is currently part of a traveling exhibition at the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe until September 11, 2013.  And even though I can never own the original, at least I was able to purchase a poster copy ($24) from the museum to admire!

If you are interested in Georgia O'Keeffe, watch this marvelous video of the artist discussing her time in New Mexico:


                

No comments:

Post a Comment