April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Friday, May 31, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Corn Dip


One of my favorite food blogs is "the south in my mouth", and I have posted a recipe from this blog before.  Recently another recipe was shared that I had never heard of before, and I just had to try it.  Corn Dip is extremely easy to make and tastes delicious, another comforting dish recommended as funeral food (funeral food seems to play a big role in life here in the South).  I also was tickled by the fact that corn dip is served with corn chips -- there just seems to be a certain symmetry to that, and I do love symmetry!  I am a little concerned that I am so drawn to funeral food, but as the site's blogger says, the whole point of funeral food is comfort.  She also mentions that Southern recipes specialize in taking a relatively healthy food and turning it into something that most definitely is not, and who wouldn't want to eat something like that (even though we know we shouldn't)?  Just don't eat it too often, since I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be another reason it is called funeral food!

Corn Dip

2 C. corn*
1 bunch of green onions (4-6), thinly sliced
1/2 C. mayonnaise
1/2 C. shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 C. shredded Cheddar cheese

Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, adding more mayonnaise if the dip looks dry.  Serve with corn chips (specifically, Frito's Scoops).  Try not to polish off the whole bowlful in one sitting!

*I used frozen white corn, but use fresh corn if you can get it, or a 15-ounce can of white shoe peg corn, drained, if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment