May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, September 3, 2021

Foodie Fridays: Kitchari

 

I recently tried a recipe for a dish called Kitchari that was so good I just had to share it on my blog! I originally found the recipe on one of my favorite YouTube vlogs by Isabel Paige (who also has an online cookbook which includes this recipe and is available for purchase here).  It takes a little time to make, but it is very easy to put together and is quite tasty in addition to being very nutritious.

Of course I made a few changes based on my own preferences and what I had on hand.  I did not have ground fenugreek but read that ground fennel is an acceptable substitute, so I used that instead (which meant I had double the fennel, both seed and powder, but I love dried fennel so I did not mind).  I also used spinach instead of kale, and added some dried fruit just because I had a bit left and wanted to use it up (it turned out to be a great addition).  Isabel Paige also includes a recipe for Spiced Cashews to add as a topping, but I just used cashews I already had on hand (if you want her recipe you will have to buy her cookbook - I promise it is worth purchasing, especially if you are interested in low-cost healthy vegan recipes).  This porridge-like dish can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and is quite a satisfying meal at any time of day.  I have a feeling I will be making it a lot as the weather cools down!

Kitchari

1 C. dried lentils
1⁄2 C. long-grain brown rice
1 T. freshly grated ginger
1 medium onion, diced
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. fennel seed
1 tsp. ground fenugreek (I used ground fennel)
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. sea salt
5 C. water (I used 4 C. unsalted vegetable stock plus 1 C. water)
1 vegetable bouillon cube (I used Knorr Vegetable Bouillon)
3 cups kale or spinach (I used twice as much)
1⁄4 C. finely shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 C. raisins or other dried fruit (optional)
1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro leaves (optional)
cashew pieces for topping (optional)

Soak the lentils and rice in 10 cups of water for 2 hours.  Pour them through a colander and add to a pot along with the ginger, onion, and garlic.  Stir in the spices, water, and bouillon cube.

Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover, and reduce the heat to medium-low.  Simmer for 35-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender but not mushy and most of the liquid has been absorbed.  (You may need to add more water if the mixture becomes too dry or begins to stick to the bottom of the pan.)

Stir in the kale, coconut, and dried fruit if using, then remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve warm, scattered if desired with cilantro and cashews.  Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment