Friday, April 19, 2019

Foodie Fridays: Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Salad Sandwich


If you are looking for a quick, easy, and healthy sandwich, I can highly recommend the Smashed Chickpea & Avocado Salad Sandwich recipe from the Two Peas & Their Pod website.  The sandwich filling comes together very quickly, and the taste is fantastic!  You can use any salad greens you prefer in this sandwich (I happen to like arugula) as well as any other sandwich additions such as tomatoes or alfalfa sprouts.  My favorite sandwich bread at the moment is Arnold's 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins because I prefer a higher filling-to-bread ratio, but use whatever bread you enjoy.  I did spread just a dab of mayonnaise on the bottom bread slice to help hold the arugula in place, but this ingredient is entirely optional.

This is one of the best sandwich fillings I have had in a long time, and I know I will be making this recipe often - I have already made two batches in less than two weeks!

Smashed Chickpea and Avocado Salad Sandwich

1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 small avocados
1/4 C. minced fresh cilantro*
2-4 T. thinly sliced green onion
1 Meyer lemon, zested and juiced
salt and pepper to taste
8 slices whole wheat bread
mayonnaise (optional)
arugula (or other salad greens)

Place the chickpeas in a large bowl.  Scoop out the avocados and add to the bowl.  Smash the chickpeas and avocados together with a potato masher or fork  (I started with the potato masher and finished with a fork to get all of the chickpeas smashed).  Stir in the cilantro, green onion, and lemon zest and juice.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

If desired, spread a small amount of mayonnaise on 4 slices of bread.  Top each with a handful of arugula or other salad greens.  Divide the chickpea mixture evenly among the 4 arugula-topped bread slices.  Cover each with the remaining 4 slices of bread and serve.  Serves 4.

*I used 2 T. Gourmet Garden Cilantro Stir-In Paste instead of fresh cilantro.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment