April 17th is International Bat Appreciation Day!

Thursday, January 12, 2017

This 'n That Thursdays: Smithsonian Journeys Christmas in Victorian London

From Charles Dickens Museum

Is it too early to start thinking about Christmas 2017?  Not if you are a Charles Dickens fan like me and have just discovered the "Christmas in Victorian London" tour from Smithsonian Journeys!  The eight-day trip is billed as "A Celebration of Charles Dickens" and includes a night at the theater on Christmas Eve to enjoy a performance of Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".  A traditional Victorian Christmas dinner is served on Christmas Day, and you will even learn how Christmas pudding is made!

A Christmas pudding (from The Huddersfield Daily Examiner).

The next few days will be spent taking walking tours of London locations mentioned in Dickens' novels, as well as a trip to his last London house still standing, which is now the site of the Charles Dickens Museum.  Excursions to Rochester in Kent, where Dickens spent time and owned a country home nearby, and Highgate north of London, where parts of the novel David Copperfield are set, are scheduled for the last two days.  Tour participants will stay at The Bloomsbury Hotel in London's West End for the entire trip.

The Bloomsbury Hotel (from J&K Apartments).

The only hesitation I have about booking this trip is the fact that I will be accompanying my sister to Germany in August, and two trips to Europe less than six months apart may be too much for me (I am not a very good traveler).  If I decide I cannot do this trip in 2017, then I hope it will be available in 2018, as I would really love to experience this travel opportunity!

If you have not already had your fill of Christmas, you can enjoy an excellent reading of "A Christmas Carol" on YouTube:

                

No comments:

Post a Comment