April 18th is International Jugglers Day!

Friday, January 13, 2017

Foodie Fridays: Tomato, Chickpea, and Coconut Soup


This is the time of year when nothing is more satisfying with lunch or even dinner than a bowl of warm soup!  Our weather took a nasty cold turn last weekend, and this recipe for Tomato, Chickpea, and Coconut Soup really hit the spot (of course, now our weather is unusually warm, but the cold will return eventually!).  I did not make changes to the recipe, although I chose to leave out the Parmesan cheese.  I also used the smoked paprika option and substituted dried thyme for fresh.  I decided to use the whole can of coconut milk instead of just one cup, because I  did not want to have to find a use for the rest of the can (and it drives me crazy when a half-used can sits around in the fridge).  This soup is so quick and easy to make, and I had all the ingredients in my pantry.  In fact, I still have all the ingredients in my pantry, so I easily can and will make it again!

Tomato, Chickpea, and Coconut Soup

1 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (I used unsalted)
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
salt to taste (I used 3/4 tsp.)
1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (13.5 oz.) coconut milk (I used low fat)
1 1/2 C. water

Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat.  Add the onions, reduce the heat to medium, and sauté until translucent.  Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add the smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds.  Stir in the vinegar, tomatoes, thyme, and salt to taste.  Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Remove from the heat, uncover, and let cool slightly.

Purée the soup with an immersion blender.  If the soup seems too thick, add a little more water.  Taste and add more salt if needed.  Ladle into bowls and garnish as desired (I used fresh thyme leaves).  Serves 4.

Notes: This soup tastes even better the next day as the flavors get a chance to meld.  You can substitute fresh thyme (about 3 sprigs) for dried, or used dried oregano instead of thyme.  Heavy cream can be used to replace the coconut milk.  You can also stir in 1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese to the soup before serving.  This soup is a good accompaniment to grilled cheese sandwiches.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment