March 29th is World Marbles Day!

Friday, January 20, 2017

Foodie Fridays: 30-Minute Asian Chicken Soup


I am obsessed with soups at the moment.  This week I made the 30 Minute Asian Chicken Soup from the How Sweet It Is blog, and it is just delicious!  I changed the recipe only slightly, like substituting canola oil for the butter and olive oil because to me the latter combination is not very Asian.  I also added ginger, left out the onion and increased the scallions, added soy sauce, and stirred sesame oil and seeds into the soup at the end, all for more Asian flavor.

My new favorite way to cook chicken is in the slow cooker.  I just put about two pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts into the slow cooker, add one cup of liquid, and cook on HIGH for 3 hours.  The chicken is so tender it shreds easily and can be used in any recipe calling for cooked chicken.  I happened to have some leftover sauce from Chinese takeout that I used as the liquid, but chicken broth or stock works just as well (season to taste with salt, pepper, and any other preferences).  I had more than two cups of chicken, so I mixed the rest with some catsup and a little mango chutney that I am trying to use up, warmed it in the microwave, and served it on sesame buns as shredded chicken sandwiches (serve them with the soup or on their own).  I love it when I can get two recipes with little more effort than it takes to make one!

I've been noticing that a lot of people are feeling under the weather lately (whether they are sick or not!), and this comforting soup is sure to make anyone feel better.  The next time you are craving chicken soup, you may want to try this recipe for a change!

30 Minute Asian Chicken Soup

1 T. canola oil
1 C. diced carrots
1 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
1 tsp. minced ginger
8-12 oz. mushrooms, sliced
3 T. soy sauce
6 C. chicken stock (I used unsalted)
3 baby bok choys, sliced
2 C. cooked shredded chicken
1 small bunch (6-8) scallions, sliced
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 T. toasted sesame seeds

Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the oil.  Stir in the carrot and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.  Add the mushrooms, garlic, and ginger.  Cook until the mushrooms just soften, about 3 more minutes.  Add the soy sauce and stock and bring the mixture to a boil.

Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.  Stir in the chicken and bok choy.  Simmer for 10 more minutes.  Toss in the scallions and cook for 2 minutes.  Stir in the sesame oil and seeds and serve.  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment