April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, January 29, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Crock Pot Pulled Chicken


I was looking for an easy crock pot recipe to make last weekend when the weather was so cold and nasty.  It didn't take long to find one for 2-Ingredient Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken that is so simple it almost should not be called a recipe!  Best of all, the chicken is so moist and flavorful that you just may have to help yourself to a second sandwich.  I only changed the name because I call my slow cooker a crock pot (is there a difference?), I know this type of barbecue as pulled chicken, and I made my own sauce which was not exactly a barbecue sauce.  Whatever you call it, this is a dish you will want to make all winter long.

Crock Pot Pulled Chicken

2 1/2-3 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 C. (12 oz.) barbecue sauce (any type)

Spray the bottom of the crock pot with cooking spray.  Pour a little of the barbecue sauce on the bottom.  Place the chicken breasts in a single layer on top of the sauce.  Pour the rest of the sauce on top of the chicken.  Turn the chicken in the sauce to coat each piece completely.  Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through and shreds easily.

Use two forks to shred the chicken in the crock pot.  Toss it thoroughly in the juices.  Cover and let sit with the crock pot turned off so that the shredded chicken can absorb the cooking juices.

Serve the chicken on buns, drizzled with a bit more barbecue sauce if desired.  Serves 8.

Note: I made up my own sauce because I was trying to used up a very salty Toasted Sesame Marinade that has been sitting in our fridge for a while.  To cut the saltiness I combined 4-5 T. of the sauce with 1 small can (8 oz.) unsalted tomato sauce, and then threw in the remains of a bottle of honey mustard (about 2-3 T.) for good measure.  This made about 1 1/2 C. sauce, and turned out to be very tasty.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment