April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Foodie Fridays: Grilled Beet, Sauerkraut, and Swiss Reuben Sandwich


Back before I developed my allergy to red meat, one of my favorite deli lunch options was the Reuben Sandwich.   I always chose to substitute deli mustard for Thousand Island Dressing, as I found this spread too cloyingly sweet.  When I became allergic to red meats, I would request a Turkey Reuben (sometimes called a Rachel Sandwich) instead.  I still asked for mustard, but without the fatty beef this version was sometimes a bit dry-tasting.  Recently I found a recipe for a Beet, Sauerkraut, and Swiss Reuben.  Out of curiosity, I decided to try it.  The recipe included ingredients for making a homemade version of Thousand Island Dressing.  Rather than just substituting mustard again, I decided to make the dressing with honey mustard instead of catsup.  This mustard sauce was the perfect spread for the sandwich, adding richness but a lot less sweetness (I may have to try it on the Turkey Reuben some day).  The sandwich is really tasty, and I finally feel I've found a red meat-free version of the Reuben that is almost as good as the original!

Grilled Beet, Sauerkraut, and Swiss Reuben Sandwich

1 T. mayonnaise
1 tsp. honey mustard
1/2 tsp.sweet pickle relish
2 slices rye bread
3-4 slices Swiss cheese
4-5 unsalted cooked beet slices
1/4 C. sauerkraut
1/2 T. butter

Combine the first three ingredients in a small bowl.  Place the bread on a plate.  Spread the mustard sauce evenly on both slices.  Top one piece with half of the cheese, all of the beet slices in one layer, the sauerkraut, and the rest of the cheese.  Finish with the other slice of bread and butter the top.  Move the sandwich to the center of the plate.

Heat a frying pan over medium heat.  Pick up the plate, hold the heated pan over the plate, and flip so that the sandwich is in the center of the pan.  Butter the top slice of bread.  Return the pan to the heat and grill the sandwich 3-4 minutes per side, until the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown.  Return to the plate and serve.  Serves 1.

Note: I used Silver Floss Bavarian Style Sauerkraut, which is slightly sweet and flavored with caraway seeds.  I used seeded rye bread because I like caraway seeds, but any type of rye bread will work.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment