March 27th is Manatee Appreciation Day!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

On the Homefront: Colorful Spots and Stripes Summer Table

The colorful striped Havana serving bowls, salt and pepper shakers,
and sugar bowl and cream pitcher at the other end of the table are
by Tabletops Unlimited.

Summer starts today, so let the fun begin with a colorful table full of spots and stripes!  I have to admit that summer is my least favorite season (I prefer cool, dry weather to heat and humidity), but that is even more reason to create a fun and cheerful table that will bring a smile to my face despite the sweltering heat (and thank goodness for air conditioning).  Every color of the rainbow is welcome here, and as much of my spotted and striped tableware as I can fit on the table without completely overwhelming it!


Yellow fabric placemat, probably from The Cupboard in Fort Collins, CO; Santa Fe Hand-Painted Striped Stoneware dinner and bread plates from Brylane Home; colorful champagne flute as water glass (ordered from a catalog years ago, but I can't remember which one); Color Dots Goblet from Pier 1 a couple of years ago; red flatware mixed with red and white-dotted flatware from Walmart this year; colorful dots napkin (ordered from a catalog years ago, but I can't remember which one).

The other place setting color combinations.




A bowl for the garlic bread, and a sugar bowl and cream pitcher
set that will be used for grated Parmesan cheese for the pasta and
the balsamic vinaigrette for the salad.

A colorful striped vase holds vibrant color-dyed mums, something I
wouldn't normally buy but which were perfect for this table.


The menu for my table is quick and easy, as it should be for a summer meal.  Use many colors of heirloom tomatoes if you can find them, preferably fresh from the garden or farmer's market.  As I've mentioned in a previous post, I am hopeless when it comes to baking moist and delicious brownies, so I rely on store-bought ones (fudgey, chocolate-frosted, and without nuts if I can find them).  If you are more talented than me and prefer homemade, by all means bake your own!

Colorful Summer Menu:

Green Salad with Colorful Heirloom Tomatoes/
Balsamic Vinaigrette
Brownie Sundaes/Chocolate Syrup and M&Ms

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

The candies on the table are multi-colored plain M&M's, to be served atop the brownie sundaes:

The little orange and red-spotted pitcher will hold the chocolate
syrup (make your own, or just use good old Hershey's Syrup
if you don't mind high fructose corn syrup).

A dessert station serves as the centerpiece for the table.  Large striped bowls with big spoons will hold the brownie sundaes, consisting of a brownie square topped with ice cream (vanilla for me!), chocolate syrup, and M&M's, or any combination of those ingredients your guests might prefer.

Flora the Dalmatian sports a multi-hued lei in honor of this
colorful summer table!

For those who love summer, enjoy your favorite season, but even someone like me who is not a fan can at least appreciate the colors of summer on this spots and stripes table!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment