March 27th is Manatee Appreciation Day!

Friday, June 19, 2015

Foodie Fridays: Easy Chocolate Tea Biscuits


This recipe evolved from one I found for Foolproof Brownies.  I always have trouble when I attempt to make brownies from scratch, as I tend to overbake them and they end up too dry.  I decided to try the supposedly foolproof recipe to see if it was the one that would help me overcome my difficulties, but alas, I ended up with my usual result.

I think the problem was that I halved the original recipe and used a pan size that was too large.  I should have used an 8-inch square pan and probably reduced the baking time as well.  The brownies ended up being way too thin and rather dry.  They were still tasty, but they were more like a type of homemade slice-and-bake cookie my mother used to make than like a brownie.

That was when I had my epiphany.  I had not baked brownies, but had instead created a type of thin and slightly crispy cookie perfect for dunking in a hot beverage!  Best of all, no rolling, wrapping, chilling and/or slicing were required.  I will have to implement the modifications I mentioned next time to find out if I can make the perfect brownie, but if you are looking for a quick and easy light chocolatey treat to dunk in your afternoon tea or coffee, then you just might want to try this recipe!

Easy Chocolate Tea Biscuits

1/2 C. butter, melted
1/4 C. cocoa powder
1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs
3/4 C. flour
pinch of salt

Stir the cocoa powder into the melted butter until smooth.  Blend in the sugar.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating in thoroughly after each addition.  Mix in the flour and salt until smooth.  Pour the batter into a well-greased 9-inch square pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out dry and the cookie pulls away from the sides of the pan.  Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for about 15 minutes.  Cut into 9 or 16 squares.  Serve with  your favorite hot beverage.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment