April 24th is International Guide Dog Day!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

This 'n That Thursdays: Almond Blossoms in Mallorca

A Mallorca almond orchard in bloom
(from National Geographic)

Lately my travel options are limited.  I have an elderly horse and an elderly dog, both with health issues, and it is difficult to find a pet sitter who can deal with them if my husband and I want to take a trip.  So while I would love to go somewhere new and fascinating for Valentine's Day and our birthdays (both of which are in early February), that will not be happening this year (my husband will be out of town on business anyway).  One of these years, though, I am hoping we can take a trip to Spain to experience almond blossom season on the island of Mallorca (or Majorca).  Not long ago I read an article on the National Geographic website about this travel destination, and I am now obsessed with the idea.  Almond blossoms, which have a lovely fragrance, are usually in bloom from about the end of January to around mid-February in Mallorca -- perfect timing for a birthday/Valentine's Day visit!

Harbor of Palma, Mallorca's capital
(from Wikipedia)

Mallorca coast (from Charter Expert)

More flowering almond trees in Mallorca
(from España)

A close-up view of beautiful almond blossoms
(from Living in Rural Mallorca)

Agroturismo hotel in Felanitx, Mallorca
(from See Mallorca)

I have come to the realization lately that I love the idea of visiting places with fragrant blossom seasons.  I would be ecstatic if I could be in Mallorca for the almonds, on the Italian island of Capri for lemon blossom season in May, and of course in the French town of Provence when the lavender blooms in July.  I have never been to any of these European countries, so what better way to visit them for the first time than by doing a grand tour of fragrant blossom seasons in each?  It may be just a dream right now, but some day, who knows -- it could happen!
             

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely stunning pictures that truly capture nature's beauty and the unique landscapes of Mallorca. If you ever want to spend a holiday in Mallorca try renting a villa from Vida Villas as it will be much easier than searching for a place to stay by yourself.

    ReplyDelete