April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Friday, March 29, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Lemon Brownies

From Mountain Breaths

Since lemons will be featured for our Easter brunch this year, I decided I would make a lemony dessert recipe that I have never tried before.  Lemon Brownies sound perfect!  Citrus desserts are among my favorites, so I can't wait to taste these.  I am already thinking of future variations.  My chocolate-loving husband might appreciate some semisweet chocolate chips added to the batter, and of course chopped nuts such as pecans would be delicious.  I'm thinking some chopped crystallized ginger would be tasty as well.  And for true decadence, leave off the glaze, slice a lemon brownie in half, and top with sweetened strawberries plus whipped cream for a version of strawberry shortcake.  But first, I think I will just make the original recipe for Easter, and I am sure they will be wonderful!

Lemon Brownies

1 1/2 C. flour
1 1/2 C. sugar
1 tsp. salt (I used half this amount)
1 C. (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
4 eggs
juice from 1/2 lemon
zest from 1 lemon
Lemon Glaze (see below)

Line the bottom only of a 9x13-inch baking dish with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.  (You could probably use foil instead if you have no parchment paper, draping the edges over the sides for easy lifting when removing the baked brownies.)  Stir together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate bowl, combine the butter with the eggs.  Add the lemon juice and zest.  Stir the lemon mixture into the dry mixture.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.  When completely cooled, drizzle the glaze over the brownies and sprinkle with more lemon zest, if desired.  Makes 24 brownies.

Lemon Glaze (optional): Zest and then juice one lemon.  Combine 1 C. confectioner's sugar with enough lemon juice to get the right consistency (about 2 T. juice).  The glaze should be the consistency of corn syrup. To test, take a spoonful from the bowl and drizzle it back in; the drizzled glaze should leave a well-defined but temporary trail.

Update: These brownies are delicious!  I halved the recipe (except for the lemon, since I prefer a more intense flavor) and baked them in a disposable 7.75x7.75-inch foil pan I happened to have on hand.  Since there are only two of us, I did not think we needed two dozen, but I may find myself regretting that decision!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment