April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Thursday, October 18, 2012

This 'n That Thursdays: Not-My-Style Dining Rooms

I am usually very open-minded when it comes to design.  After all, everyone has their own individual style, and I think that is a good thing -- it keeps life interesting!  I do have very definite tastes of my own, but almost always find positive aspects to any type of décor.  Every once in a while, however, I come across something that... well, let's just say I could never have the look in my own home.  It is not necessarily bad design, but for me it just hits all the wrong style notes.  Recently I saw a few photos of dining rooms that are truly not my style.  Take a look for yourself and you be the judge -- is it just me, or are these rooms the sort that only a select few could own?

First up is this dazzling display of reddish pink and white:

From Born Again Redneck's Daily Duh!

Or perhaps I should have said dizzying display!  I really want to like this one -- I love stripes, and the pink is very close to red, which is my favorite color.  I even appreciate the bold color jolt of the yellow buffet in the corner.  But honestly, to me it looks as if a candy cane factory exploded in this room.  The stripes are overpowering and the color scheme just makes my head spin -- I would have to eat with my eyes closed if I were to dine in this room!

The next dining room has a similar problem:

From COCOCOZY

This room isn't so much dizzying as it is confusing.  The table and chairs have a Far East feel to them while the mirrors, pendant light, and picture look more Middle Eastern or Indian.  I am afraid that East meets East just doesn't work for me (nice table setting, though!).

Unlike the previous two rooms, the next dining room is not too hard on the eyes, but it is also not conducive to a pleasurable dining experience:

From Born Again Redneck's Daily Duh!

The lack of color makes this space feel rather somber.  There are only two dining chairs, and both face a wall rather than each other, which sets a rather unfriendly tone, almost like being put in the corner for punishment.  And then there is that gigantic alligator picture -- I would feel extremely uncomfortable consuming a meal under the stare of that beady reptilian eye.  I think one would have to be a dedicated herpetophile to appreciate a room like this!

And speaking of eyes, I've mentioned before that I have a phobia about being gazed upon by nonliving eyeballs.  The alligator orb above is bad enough, but for me the dining room below would be the ultimate nightmarish experience:

From The Caledonian Mining Expedition Company

The bird cage on the table is just wrong, and the animal heads are creepy, but that huge portrait of an unsmiling woman with the blank and unblinking stare would send me scurrying from the place.  In fact, I think this would be the perfect Halloween dining room.  Hmmm, come to think of it, just set out some spooky Eyeball Appetizers,  Eyeball Subs, Eyeball Cake Pops, and Blueberry Rickety Eyeball Punch and you could have yourself a delightfully frightful Halloween celebration here!

So what do you think?  Could you live with any of these spaces, or do you share my opinion that these dining rooms are hard to love?  (No offense to the homeowners, of course -- I just don't happen to share their tastes!)
         

No comments:

Post a Comment