April 20th is Husband Appreciation Day!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Irish Soda Bread II

From Eating Well

Believe it or not, I am still trying to use up buttermilk!  I think the next recipe I will try is a new one for Irish Soda Bread.  I posted my favorite recipe for this bread last year, but the new one uses more buttermilk, so maybe I can finally use up what we have left.  I am sure it will be good, and Irish Soda Bread is wonderful at any time of day as toast, for sandwiches, with soup, or as an accompaniment to any meal.  Besides, we are in for a big temperature drop this weekend, which means ideal bread-baking weather.  I can't wait to give this easy recipe a try!

Irish Soda Bread II

2 C. flour
2 C. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 C. buttermilk

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk.  Fold the dry ingredients into the buttermilk until completely incorporated.  The dough should be soft but not sticky.  Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and knead gently to form into a rounded shape.  Flip it over and flatten into a large disk about 2 inches high.  Transfer the loaf to a greased and lightly floured baking sheet.  Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.  Reduce the oven temperature to 400 degrees and continue to bake 30-35 minutes more, until the loaf is brown on top and sounds hollow when tapped.  Place the loaf on a wire rack and cool for 30 minutes before slicing.  Makes about 12 slices.

Update:  The bread was browning too quickly, so I covered the top with foil after turning down the oven temperature to keep it from getting too dark.  Also, I found that the loaf was done after 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Next time I will not use flour on the greased baking sheet, as it gives off an unpleasant burnt smell as the bread is baking (I may have used too much).  I could use cornmeal instead, or just use a greased baking sheet.

(Of course, since this is National Cake Day, I may want to try out this rich but simple recipe for Buttermilk Pound Cake today!)
         

No comments:

Post a Comment