April 19th is National Garlic Day!

Thursday, September 27, 2012

This 'n That Thursdays: A Passion for Puffins


Did you know that there are close to 10,000 known species of birds? And of this vast number, if I were to choose just one favorite, it would have to be Fratercula arctica, or the Atlantic Puffin.  I have never even seen one in real life, but there is just something about their striking and rather risible appearance that I find irresistible.  These pelagic seabirds in the Auk family are the only puffins found in the Atlantic Ocean.  While not endangered worldwide, they have become less populous on the coast of Maine, which is the only place in the United States with breeding colonies.  This decline in numbers prompted the formation of Project Puffin, a research effort that is attempting to restore puffin breeding colonies to some of the coastal islands.  You can even adopt a puffin if you are interested in supporting this worthy cause!

Of course a real puffin will (sadly) never grace the interior of my home, but with a little effort I could bring the likeness of this charming bird anywhere I would like!  I think this puffin shower curtain would feel right at home in our guest bathroom:

From Deny Designs

Some puffin throw pillows on the living room sofa would be nice:

From Amazon.co.uk

A sturdy puffin mug for morning coffee or tea would be the ideal way to start the day:

From Etsy

And I love the idea of a Puffin Design Biscuit Barrel for the kitchen:

From Toys & Interiors

Compared to some other species (like the currently rather ubiquitous owl), the puffin is a relatively underused bird when it comes to interior design.  I can only hope that some day the Atlantic Puffin will take the design world by storm, and we will see this cute and comical little bird in homes everywhere!

From I Love Funny Animal
         

No comments:

Post a Comment