March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day!

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Cinnamon Slaw

From What vegetarians eat

Yesterday's post about my very first cookbooks got me browsing through those oldies but goodies, so I decided to post a recipe from each for the next three Foodie Fridays.  Choosing one from each book will not be easy since I have not used them in a while.  It is especially hard from my first book, Granddaughter's Inglenook Cookbook, because I rarely used it even when I first "inherited" it.  However, it was fun to browse through back then, and even more fun now.  Some of the recipes caught my eye because techniques and/or ingredients are obsolete or out of favor these days (although I did read recently that lard is making a comeback!).  Others were popular dishes when I was young but are pretty much forgotten now (when was the last time you had pear and lime jello salad?).  And then there was this one for Cinnamon Slaw.  It is very simple and straightforward, but I had never heard of it before, and could not find any similar recipes on the internet.  In fact, the picture above is only what I imagine it must look like (pink!) because of the cinnamon candies used.  I have posted the recipe as it appears in the cookbook, and then added notes at the end to clarify anything that might be unfamiliar to a present-day cook.  Will I actually attempt to create this unique side dish myself?  I am trying to psych myself up to do just that -- the hardest part for me is buying the cinnamon candies (red hots), since I have never liked them (and I'm not even sure I can find them at this time of year).  Let's hope they taste much better when cooked and combined with other ingredients!

Cinnamon Slaw

3 apples
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. cinnamon candies
3 C. cabbage
1/2 C. mayonnaise

Cook diced apples, cinnamon candies, and sugar together, covered, for 5 minutes and allow to get cold without lifting lid.  When ready to serve, add mayonnaise to shredded cabbage, then apples.  Makes a beautiful salad.

Notes:  The recipe does not specify if the apples should be peeled, but you are basically making applesauce so it doesn't really matter -- some people leave the peel on and some remove it.  As mentioned above, cinnamon candies are also known as red hots, those hard little heart-shaped candies so popular at Valentine's Day.  Number of servings is not given, but I would guess about four to six.  I am so grateful the recipe mentions that the salad is beautiful, as this description intrigues me enough to make me want to make this slaw!

From Desiccated Coconut

No comments:

Post a Comment