April 25th is World Penguin Day!

Thursday, January 7, 2016

Foodie Fridays: Smoked Sausage Gnocchi


With wintry weather finally here, I am now in the mood to make some of the heartier recipes I have been meaning to try.  A simple recipe for Smoked Sausage Gnocchi from Hillshire Farm was at the top of my list, although I had to substitute another company's turkey sausage because of my allergies (our local store does not carry Hillshire Farm brand turkey sausage). This is definitely a dish to serve on a bleak and blustery day, as it is very rich and filling.  It takes very little effort to prepare and is ready very quickly (it only took me about 15 minutes from start to finish), so if you have a cold and hungry family they will thank you for making this recipe!

Smoked Sausage Gnocchi

1 lb. gnocchi (I used whole wheat)
1 pkg. (14 oz.) smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 C. julienned sun-dried tomatoes in oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 C. baby spinach (I used a blend of baby greens)
1/2 C. shredded Parmesan (optional)

Prepare the gnocchi according to package directions.  Drain and keep warm.

Cook and stir the sausage, tomatoes (with some of the oil from the jar), and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, or until the sausage is lightly browned.  Add the spinach and stir gently until it wilts.  Stir in the gnocchi and heat through.

Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese if desired.  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment