Friday, July 31, 2015

Foodie Fridays: Watermelon, Feta, and Kalamata Olive Salad

From Nigella.com

Emboldened by the success of my salad with strawberries last week, I decided to try another savory fruit-based salad recipe that intrigued me, namely Nigella Lawson's Watermelon, Feta, and Black Olive Salad.  This one was more problematic, as I have never really liked watermelon.  Nevertheless, I found the combination of ingredients so unique that I felt I had to give it a chance.  I have to say that I am glad I did!  This is now about the only way that I will eat watermelon.

Like strawberries, the sweetness of watermelon can be variable, but in this salad it doesn't really matter, as the other ingredients will enhance its flavor whether it is sweet or not.  Our local grocery stores carry pre-cut watermelon chunks, and I bought a quart-size container rather than a whole melon since I did not want to have leftover fruit after making the salad.  I am not fond of mint, so next time I think I will leave it out and possibly increase the basil instead.  I will also leave out the black pepper, as it often makes me choke and I did not notice that it enhanced the flavor of the dish at all.  This is a very quick, easy, refreshing salad that is perfect for the hot summer days we have been having lately, even for those of us who don't normally care for watermelon!

Watermelon, Feta, And Kalamata Olive Salad

1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 limes
2-3 C. watermelon chunks (triangular-shaped if possible)
4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled or cut into triangular chunks
1/2 bunch parsley
2 T. chopped fresh mint
2 T. julienned basil leaves
2 T. olive oil
1/3 C. Kalamata olives, halved and pitted
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the sliced onion in a small bowl and add the juice of the two limes. Set aside for 15-20 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and the lime juice turns pink.

Combine the watermelon and feta chunks in a large bowl.  Tear the parsley into small leaflets and add with the mint and basil.  Top with the onions and lime juice.  Add the oil and olives and toss the mixture gently until the salad is thoroughly mixed.  Grind on some black pepper and serve.  Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment