March 28th is Weed Appreciation Day!

Friday, June 12, 2015

Foodie Fridays: Lazy Day Breakfast Casserole


When it comes to brunch, I prefer savory foods to sweet ones.  I am not that interested in pancakes, waffles, or French toast. Give me a hearty egg dish instead and I am happy.  If I must make that dish myself, the recipe had better be extremely easy or my good mood may disappear.  Lazy Day Breakfast Casserole is my version of a hash brown and sausage casserole, eliminating any steps that I consider unnecessary, such as browning the sausage or hash browns before baking.  Everything gets dumped in layers into a casserole dish, and I then let the oven do all the work.  It does take a little over an hour to bake, but on brunch mornings I have the time to wait.  This casserole can be assembled the night before and baked as needed, and would be perfect if you have overnight guests who are looking forward to a hearty late morning meal.  Should anyone wake up before the dish is ready, simply offer coffee or tea and perhaps some toast and a chat while waiting.  This may not be a recipe you serve every day, but when you do make this breakfast indulgence you will enjoy every bite!

Lazy Day Breakfast Casserole

1 package (20 oz.) refrigerated shredded hash browns (I used Simply Potatoes)
5 eggs
1/2 C. milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
8 oz. shredded cheese (I used a cheddar and mozzarella blend)
1 package (9.6 oz.) fully cooked sausage crumbles (I used Jimmy Dean turkey)

Grease a two-quart baking dish and spread the hash browns on the bottom.  Whisk together the next five ingredients and pour over the potatoes.  Sprinkle on half the cheese, all of the sausage, and finally the remaining cheese.  Cover the baking dish with foil.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Remove the foil and bake until a knife inserted in the center of the casserole comes out clean, about 10 minutes.  Let stand for about five minutes before serving (set out catsup and/or salsa for those who might want them).  Serves 6.
             

No comments:

Post a Comment