April 24th is International Guide Dog Day!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Sautéed Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Pecans


We are lucky to have several really good food markets in nearby Athens.  One of these is a Trader Joe's, but it is the farthest away from our town so I rarely get there.  Last week, since I was in the area anyway, I stopped by Trader Joe's and was glad I did.  They had bags of shaved Brussels sprouts in the produce section, and I was eager to try them as I am quite fond of these tiny cabbage relatives.  I also found a bag of toasted unsalted chopped pecans, and I knew exactly what I was going to do with both items.  A simple side dish of Sautéed Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Pecans was the result, and it is fantastic!  Of course, you could shave the sprouts and toast pecans yourself, but I am always on the lookout for even easier ways to cook, so I was perfectly happy that someone else had done most of the prep work for me.  I served this with thin-sliced boneless, skinless chicken breasts seasoned with a little salt, lemon juice, and oregano, then cooked my favorite way.  I also bought some packaged naan bread at Trader Joe's, so I placed one piece on my plate, spooned some of the chicken juices over, and topped it with the Brussels sprouts.  This was an excellent meal -- I have leftovers, and I can't wait to serve it again!

Sautéed Shaved Brussels Sprouts with Pecans

2 T. olive oil
2 T. butter
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 bags (10 oz. each) shaved Brussels sprouts
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (or to taste)
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 C. toasted chopped pecans

Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the lemon juice and Brussels sprouts and sauté until the sprouts soften, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the garlic and sauté another minute.  Add the pecans and heat through.  Taste for seasonings and add more lemon juice and/or salt as needed.  Serves 8 (or at least it should if the cook can show a little restraint!).

Note: Try to resist the urge to over-season this dish, or you will overpower the sweet, nutty flavor of the pecans.

Update: Stir in 12 oz. of cooked and drained farfalle (bow tie) pasta for a hearty and delicious side dish.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment