Thursday, March 8, 2012

Foodie Fridays: Southern Creamed Kale

From Savour Fare

I am not a very imaginative cook so I rarely create recipes, but every once in a while I will whip up something so tasty I surprise even myself.  This is one such recipe.  Hopefully you can find lacinato kale (or at least fresh young kale from a farmer's market) and have access to a local barbecue restaurant that makes their own vinegar-based sauce (which is where I get mine).  Our local barbecue place makes both a mild and a hot version of their sauce -- I use the mild, but if you prefer heat go for it!  In keeping with the Southern theme, I like to serve this with "fried" chicken (actually a quick recipe for breaded and baked chicken tenders that is described here) and sweet potato fries.  Oh, and don't forget a big glass of iced tea (I like mine unsweetened, but for authenticity only sweet tea will do!).

Southern Creamed Kale

1 bunch lacinato kale
1/4 C. water
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1/4 C. vinegar-based barbecue sauce
1/4 C. heavy cream

Clean the kale and remove the ribs, then finely chop the leaves.  Place in a large bowl with the water and microwave for one minute.  Drain off the water.  Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the drained kale and sauté for a few minutes until soft.  Lower the heat, add the barbecue sauce, and cook a few minutes longer until the kale has absorbed the sauce.  Remove from heat, cool for about 30 seconds, and then stir in the cream.  Return to low heat if necessary and stir until the kale is coated in cream.  Serve immediately.  Serves 2.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment