March 29th is World Marbles Day!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Foodie Fridays: Fruitcake Revisited

From Mad About Maida

Last week I posted the recipe for my siblings' favorite fruitcake, but I actually have two recipes for this Christmas dessert.  Even though I don't care for fruitcake, my second recipe is the one I prefer if I must eat it, because it calls for dried rather than candied fruit.  If you are not a fruitcake lover but feel the need to have some around for the holidays, try this version -- you may just become a convert!

Fruitcake II

4 oz. golden raisins
4 oz. chopped dates
8 oz. pecans
1 1/2 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. butter, softened
1 C. sugar
3 eggs, separated
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 T. warm water
2 T. Grand Marnier

Mix fruits and nuts in a large bowl.  Add flour and salt and stir until coated.  Cream butter and sugar.  Beat in egg yolks one at a time, beating constantly.  Blend soda and water.  Beat into creamed mixture.  Add Grand Marnier.  Pour wet mixture into flour mixture and blend.  Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in thoroughly.  Pour into a greased, floured loaf pan.  Bake at 250 degrees 2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Cover with foil if top browns too quickly.  Remove quickly from pan, cool, wrap tightly, and store in a cool place for at least 10 days.

Note:  Even though this recipe does not call for soaking in liquor, I always pour a little more Grand Marnier over before wrapping for extra flavor!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment