May 4th is National Herb Day!

Friday, November 30, 2018

Foodie Fridays: Gingerbread Chia Pudding


Thanksgiving is over, so it's time to move on from pumpkin spice and savor the flavor of gingerbread!  I thought I would start with something semi-healthy which can be eaten for breakfast, so I made a Gingerbread Chia Pudding using a recipe from POPSUGAR, although of course I changed it up a bit.  First of all, I added some molasses, because it can't be gingerbread-flavored without molasses.  If you do not care for molasses (it can taste a little bitter) you can omit it and use all maple syrup, or change the proportions according to your tastes (but gingerbread needs molasses, people!).  I also left out the cloves (which I abhor) and used nutmeg instead, but use whatever spices you prefer - just be sure you leave in the ginger, because, well, it is supposed to taste like gingerbread!

This is a very easy and straightforward recipe involving no cooking at all.  You do have to patiently wait about six hours before eating (I cheated and only waited four - it tasted just fine!), but if you make your pudding the night before it will be ready for your breakfast the next day (it is also a great dessert).  Let's start celebrating the flavors of the Christmas season!

Gingerbread Chia Pudding

3/4 C. milk (I used almond milk)
1/4 C. chia seeds
1/2 T. molasses
1/2 T. maple syrup
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of salt

Combine all of the ingredients in a large glass or mug and stir until well blended.  Cover and refrigerate for at least six hours or overnight, stirring at least once during this time.  Serve with any desired toppings.  Serves 1.

Notes: Do not let the combined ingredients sit for too long before stirring because the chia seeds start to become gelatinous as soon as they hit the liquid and will get difficult to stir (ask me how I know this!).  Suggested toppings include nuts, raisins, berries, bananas, crumbled ginger cookies, whipped cream, a drizzle of molasses or maple syrup - use your imagination!  I had a little cinnamon sugar left over from another recipe, so I sprinkled some on top, added some raisins, topped it all with whipped cream, and had my chia pudding as a dessert - yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment