April 18th is International Jugglers Day!

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Foodie Fridays: Salsa Verde Chicken


The minute I saw the recipe for Super Simple Salsa Verde Chicken, I knew I just had to try it.  Lazy cook that I am, I could not resist a three-ingredient, one-pot recipe that involves nothing more than dumping everything into a pan and sliding it all into the oven.  Best of all, the result is so very satisfyingly delicious!  I made this on a busy weekday evening and it was absolutely effortless.  There will be a lot of very liquid sauce in the pan, so be sure to serve this dish over something that will absorb it.  I served the chicken with rice, but couscous would be a good and even quicker alternative (quinoa would also work).  I have a feeling this recipe will be making regular dinner appearances at our house from now on!

Salsa Verde Chicken

1 package (about 1 lb.) chicken tenders
1 jar (16 oz.) salsa verde (also known as tomatillo salsa)
1 C. shredded Mexican blend cheese

Coat a 7x11-inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Place the chicken tenders in the dish and cover completely with the salsa verde.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.  Sprinkle the cheese over the chicken and return to the oven.  Bake for an additional 15 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool slightly before serving over rice.  Serves 4.

Note:  The original recipe calls for two boneless, skinless chicken breasts, filleted to create four pieces of chicken, but I am so lazy that I prefer chicken tenders, which require no additional preparation at all!  I also used the whole jar of salsa verde, or about 2 cups.  If you prefer a less liquid sauce, drain some off from the jar before using.  If you are not a lazy cook, make your own fresh salsa verde and use that instead (the jarred version can be rather salty, and making your own lets you control the amount of seasoning).
             

No comments:

Post a Comment