April 23rd is National Picnic Day!

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

On the Home Front: Washington DC Trip

From Public Asian

We are home from our trip to the nation's capitol, and aside from the fact that my husband now has a miserable cold we had a good time.  We were there to attend the 40th anniversary of the Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement awards ceremony:

From Colorado State University

While I enjoyed meeting all of the people involved with this private foundation, I am glad that the event is only held once a year because that is about all of the formality I can stand!

We had a pretty full schedule most of the time, but we did have one free afternoon and spent a little time on the National Mall.  We were too late to view the famous cherry blossoms around the Jefferson Memorial pictured above, but did get some photos of slightly darker but equally lovely cherry blossoms around the National Museum of American History:


They also had some lovely and well-established wisteria vines growing on a wall behind the museum:


My husband was starting to feel the effects of the cold that was coming on, so we only visited one museum.  The National Museum of Natural History had a temporary exhibit on display called "Orchids of Latin America" that had been recommended to us, so we toured that one and were not disappointed:


And speaking of orchids, this trip coincided with our anniversary, so my husband bought me a vase of orchids from the hotel florist for our room:


Simple but striking -- just the way I like floral arrangements!

Just so you don't think that all I do is take pictures of flowers, here is one of the Smithsonian Castle:


Although I have to admit that the vast majority of my pictures are of flowers, so who am I trying to fool?  Anyway, we enjoyed our trip and it would have been nice to have a little more time to see more of the sights.  I guess we will have to plan another visit soon!
            

No comments:

Post a Comment