March 29th is World Marbles Day!

Friday, January 11, 2013

Foodie Fridays: Turkey Meat Loaf

From The Fitness Couple

Meat loaf is one of my husband's favorite comfort foods.  I have been making a variation on a basic meat loaf recipe from an old Pillsbury cookbook for decades that both of us enjoy.  Since I am allergic to beef, I substitute ground turkey breast.  Instead of bread or cracker crumbs, I use quick-cooking oatmeal as the filler.  Replace the catsup with tomato sauce if you prefer less sugar.  I also increase the amount of onion called for in the original recipe, using a large instead of a small one. Ground turkey breast does not have as much fat as beef to keep the meat loaf moist, so the extra onion helps prevent it from becoming dry.  Besides, my husband loves onions, and the more the better as far as he is concerned!  In this recipe the meat loaf is baked in a loaf pan rather than shaped on a baking sheet, and that is the way I always make it.  I like to serve the loaf with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli, which makes a great meal for a cold winter day.  In fact, I think Turkey Meat Loaf may just be Sunday dinner for this week!

Turkey Meat Loaf

1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey breast
1/3 C. quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 large onion, diced
1/3 C. catsup
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 egg

Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix just until combined (do not overwork the mixture).  Pack lightly into a greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.  Let the loaf rest in the pan for about five minutes before serving.  Serves 6.

Note:  I like to combine 1/2 C. catsup with 1/2 T. Worcestershire sauce and spread this on top of the loaf, either before putting it in the oven or about 5-10 minutes before it comes out of the oven (don't ask me why these are my alternatives, because I don't really know!).  You can also bake this as individual loaves by dividing the meat mixture evenly into a greased 12-cup muffin tin and baking for 25-30 minutes.

Feel free to stir in any additional ingredients you like.  Some suggestions in the Pillsbury cookbook are 1 C. cubed cheese, 2 T. pickle relish or 1/4 cup chopped pickle (sweet or dill), 1/2 C. canned or cooked mushrooms, and/or 1/4 C. diced bell pepper.  Also, for some inexplicable reason 1/2 C. drained crushed pineapple is also listed (to which I say no thanks!).
             

No comments:

Post a Comment